Deep Thoughts

Rick Warren (via Twitter): No one can control your emotions without your permission. Who are you allowing to ruin your day?



Wednesday, August 5

Bible- G? PG?

I actually planned on posting some more thoughts on the Bible reading thing and one of the issues I was going to chat about was brought up in a comment on the previous post. I feel like it is worth a whole post, however, than just a comment in reply.

I think her comment was something like, "I don't think the Bible is PG, is it?" My thoughts . . . definitely not G. Likely not to be PG either. However, with PG meaning "parental guidance", I think we will do okay.

The Bible -although inspired by God- does not contain only good, wholesome ideas, thoughts, or words. How do I feel about this as my seven year old reads through his Bible?

Scared?
No.

Worried?
No.

Concerned?
No.

Aware?
Yes.

I am completely aware of this issue, and have thought about it. In fact one evening Rob was reading a chapter to him at bedtime and came across a word/topic of "if-y" appropriateness. I think maybe it was the word "rape". Robbie asked what it meant, and Rob provided a somewhat toned down definition, but one that would help Robbie understand the story.

How do I plan on handling this? If he asks about a word, I will answer with enough information to make it understandable to him and appropriate for what he needs to understand -much like Rob did. He does have a dictionary and knows how to use it, so he may be looking up words on his own as far as I know.



For another day . . .
What can a seven year old really understand in the Bible?
Asked another way, is he really getting anything out of this experience?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

The bottom line is, you are providing a safe place for your child to come and ask questions. That will serve them well in life. :)

harkinna said...

Awesome. I love the part about having his own dictionary. I love that you are reading it with him. What a fun project!