Deep Thoughts

Rick Warren (via Twitter): No one can control your emotions without your permission. Who are you allowing to ruin your day?



Thursday, July 30

Inspired by a Seven Year Old

As my son was reading his Bible in the van last Wednesday, he casually commented that it would probably taken him ten years to read the whole Bible. He had started at Genesis 1:1 the day before and was several chapters in at this point.

I mentioned to him that they were actual "plans" for reading the whole Bible in one and two years for people that were interested. I also explained some had you read straight from the beginning, some combined old and new testament readings, and some also included Psalm passages into the daily readings.

I am not sure that he listened to any of my more detailed information, but he certainly latched onto the thought of reading the entire Bible in one year. I could already feel his internal competitive and challenge seeking energy focusing on that idea!

Currently (ten days in), he is in Exodus, chapter 30. I printed out a plan from the internet this weekend that was a straight front to back reading and it included reading three chapters each day. Considering he has read over sixty chapters in ten days, he has a very good start.

I have not read the entire Bible myself, so after dragging my feet the first few days that he was reading, I have also committed myself to the task. I am definitely on the three chapters a day average, but it has been enjoyable and interesting. I consider myself moderately familiar with the Bible for a layperson with no theological study, but I have encountered a few things I didn't know or remember as well as have smiled at things I knew but just hadn't thought on in a while.

I am sure it will be quite a year!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Talk about inspiring!

What a great goal. :)

harkinna said...

wow! This guy did this too:
http://www.slate.com/id/2212616/

He only read the old testament thought, because he is Jewish...from what I remember of the story.

harkinna said...

And I am not sure that the bible is rated PG...have you read-into any problems yet? "Mom, what does circumcision mean?" :)