Deep Thoughts

Rick Warren (via Twitter): No one can control your emotions without your permission. Who are you allowing to ruin your day?



Monday, June 1

Whew!

First day of swim lessons was today. I was a little nervous for Alexa. Our parks and rec program offers lessons for 3-4 year olds in the kiddie pool, and then starts level 1 students in the big pool. Alexa (age 5) has done the kiddie pool thing the last two years, and really is beyond that, but I was concerned the jump to the big pool was going to be too much for her. Don't get me wrong, I know she CAN do it, it was just the matter of whether she was willing to try. She can get turned off by the littlest things sometimes and then just shut down (by the way, this is beyond frustrating for me). However, when I came to pick her up she was soaked head to toe and smiling! Whew!

The level 1 group had close to 20 kids and four instructors, so I asked her if they had split up. She said yes, the kids who knew how to (which I translated as were "willing to") put their heads in the water right away went to one group; the others in another group. She said by the end though she was putting her head in (not really a new thing for her, but she does have to be in the mood to do it) and trying to help another boy who didn't want to do it! YAY ALEXA! There are still many more days left, but I am much relieved that day one went so well for her.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Hopefully smiles will fill all the lessons!

Very fun! :)