Deep Thoughts

Rick Warren (via Twitter): No one can control your emotions without your permission. Who are you allowing to ruin your day?



Monday, September 7

Breaking In and Branching Out



After a not quite hysterical, but certainly concerned, phone call to Rob this afternoon, I was finally able to get Cole out of his room!

The short background story- The door knob on Rachel and Cole's room has been dysfunctional for a while. It has worked out pretty well though because they can't open it - kind of like a built-in child-proof lock. Every now and then, it is a little tough for me to open as well, but generally with a jiggle or tug, I can get it.

Today- Cole woke up from his nap and couldn't get his door open (expected), but neither could I (unexpected). I tried for about five minutes -which felt like 30 minutes!, and even Robbie gave it a few good efforts. Finally I called Rob, apologized for the interruption to his work day, and asked his advice.

First suggestion: Open the window; I hadn't checked it because I was fairly certain it was locked, but I did check it.

It was locked.

Next suggestion: Use a hammer and bang on the door knob.

Did it - once, twice, three times, four times . . . finally it gave way and I was able to open the door.

Whew!

Poor Cole. He was not panicked or all that upset, but he was crying a little and he has a really scratchy voice right now, so it sounded pretty pathetic.

He was happy as soon as he was released.

I took the doorknob off immediately.

We went to Wal-Mart before dinner to buy a new one.

I installed it while waiting for the water to boil.

Installing the new knob was a first for me, and if I do say so, I did a fine job!

I even bought a door knob with a lock and put it on the outside of the room to be the new child-proof lock. Robbie (and Alexa) have been instructed to NEVER lock the door and only to unlock the door if they have been specifically asked to do so by Rob or I.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Even knowing all things probably turned out fine as I read your posting, I felt panicked for you! Poor Cole! Thank goodness you are a Jack-of-all-trades Mama.

:)