Deep Thoughts

Rick Warren (via Twitter): No one can control your emotions without your permission. Who are you allowing to ruin your day?



Sunday, February 8

So many things

going around in my head to share and not enough time to share it. I don't even know where to begin. Funny things, cute photos, inspiring stories, venting my grumps, . . . so . . . where to get started today?

I'll share (what I think) is a funny "kid speak" moment. Our six and four year olds are riding in the van with me. Four year old is quizzing six year old on words to spell out of the book she is reading. He is doing well, but she stumps him a bit with the word cherries; he just adds an -s at the end of cherry instead of "changing the -y to -i and adding -es". After she (somewhat smugly, I must say) informs him that he didn't get that one quite right, I give him an example of a word using this rule that I know he knows -the word baby/babies. He nods his understanding, and the ever chatty (still smug) little sister says, "That's right, Robbie. You know 'cherries' just like 'appletizers'!"

WHAT?! Poor me, who tries to be non-judgemental when these type of misconceptions of children come out, cannot help but to laugh. Not only did her example include something that isn't really a word, it wasn't even an example of what we were talking about! Of course, in her mind, it all made perfect sense.

1 comment:

harkinna said...

I am reminded of a very long and difficult conversation I had with my mom about how one would go about spelling the letters.

"But mom, how do you spell A?"