Deep Thoughts

Rick Warren (via Twitter): No one can control your emotions without your permission. Who are you allowing to ruin your day?



Saturday, January 10

The "Secret"

Not that I am the only person to have four children, twins, or even kids fairly close together, but seeing that these characteristics do all apply to me, I am often asked "How do you do it?" I am not exactly sure what the "it" is people are referring to. Maybe they are impressed by how well they all are behaved and just didn't know it was possible to have four such amazing children. Maybe they see that I have showered, dressed in clean clothes, and applied some make-up as well as done something with my hair most mornings. Maybe they ask because my kids are driving them crazy and assume they must be driving me crazy as well. The third hypothesis is the most likely (as anyone who has spent much time with us would second), but anyway, on to the real point of this post and that is the secret to how I do "it".

The answer: Coca-cola and chocolate!

The fact of the matter is I am craving both right now. I have both available in my home but they don't really go along with the fact that I am officially trying to lose the rest of my "baby weight". I figure 33 years is long enough to carry it around. Just kidding . . . Rachel and Cole with be two in less a month (CRAZY!) and I have decided it is time. With cutting down on my soda intake at the beginning of December and trying to actually eat three meals a day instead of snacking during the day and eating dinner at night, I have lost between 7-8 lbs. I feel really good about this, but it doesn't take away my daily -okay, HOURLY- cravings for soda and chocolate.

I was hoping by writing this post, I might be able to take my mind off the cravings and avoid the kitchen for a while. It seems to have helped for now. We'll see how long it lasts!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I understand your desire for your "Secret"! Mine is not soda, but coffee and chocolate.

Also, if you ever head somewhere like say Disney World with the kids...use your secret at about 4 or 5 in the afternoon on them. Have a coke and ice cream break, where they indulge too. We found that around that time of day most other families had very pooped and crying kids. Our kids got excited about this special treat, it most definitely was not part of their routine, and they were able to make it through the rest of the day well juiced up. I certainly wouldn't encourage this on normal days.

And, I think your well behaved and sweet kids are a product of a really caring and wonderful household.

harkinna said...

You rock...I will say it again...:)

The Barnes Crew said...

You go girl..way to go! Great willpower...if I knew that my vices were in the house with me it would be all over! :)