Deep Thoughts

Rick Warren (via Twitter): No one can control your emotions without your permission. Who are you allowing to ruin your day?



Wednesday, April 22

Something to Ponder

I was told by someone the other day that I put myself down "way too much". The person who told me this is a relatively new friend- someone I have just met since Rachel and Cole have been born. Despite our fairly new relationship, I feel very connected to her and she is someone whose opinion I really treasure. The thing is one of the areas I feel I struggle most with is pride. I feel like God has really blessed me with a loving husband who provides well for our family, beautiful and talented children, and has gifted me with many talents. I know, it sounds like I am totally bragging there and even though I sometimes give God the credit as I did in this post, there are often times I feel pretty proud as though I have everything to do with how things are going . . . thus, the pride problem.

It was a real shocker to hear her comment. Maybe I am more open about my shortcomings with her than with others and thus deserve the caution from her as she convicted me of this negative behavior. Maybe I am like that with others and just don't realize it? Maybe it is an area she is especially sensitive to so she just notices random comments more often? Maybe I try to balance my self-convicted internal pride problem externally with comments about things that I mess up?

I don't know, but the incident happened on Sunday and I have been pondering it ever since.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I am a believer in fate. I am also a realist. You are responsible for the choices you have made in your life. And yes, you are blessed.

Your family is the way it is because of you and your husband's guidance. God may help guide you, but ultimately the example you are giving, the environment you surround yourself with, your upbringing, your accomplishments are because of the choices you have made.

You are a gift my dear niece! Although I haven't been around you in any times when I have felt you sell yourself short, I agree with your friend. You are great! Believe it! :)